Thursday, September 5, 2013

Dark Shadows [Movie Review]

                As Johnny Depp was starring in a movie based on a television series, so was a movie about a television series he had starred in being released.   As it stands though, I saw the 21 Jump Street movie and didn’t find it to be worth watching a second time over, yet loved the show.   “Dark Shadows” is a movie that I enjoy, though I’ve never seen the show before.

                A lot of this movie is Johnny Depp wearing really heavy makeup and acting out of place because he is in the wrong century.   So, yeah, it’s pretty much like most other Johnny Depp/Tim Burton collaborations. 

                Since I also watched this movie after “The Rum Diary”, this means that I have now seen every movie Johnny Depp has been in except for “The Lone Ranger” because it’s not on DVD yet and I don’t go to the movies. 

                Watching this movie, which is a dark comedy in some sense, makes me analyze the relationship between Johnny Depp and Tim Burton.  I wonder what it would be like if Johnny Depp had been the leading man (or a large role at least) in every movie Tim Burton made.

                Imagine Johnny Depp as Beetlejuice.  Imagine Johnny Depp as Batman.   Better yet, imagine Johnny Depp as The Joker.   Though given the Frankenweenie remake, I wouldn’t put it past Burton to remake Beetlejuice with Depp in it just for fun.


                All you really need to know about this movie is that Michelle Pfieffer asked Tim Burton for a role in it, which she rarely does, and thus it must be something worth seeing.   I did enjoy it a lot and since now I will be watching the entire series that came before this, it has definitely done that job perfectly as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment